[Ansteorra-missile] [Am] Regarding authorizations at events...

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Wed Aug 23 20:54:52 PDT 2006

Eadric Anstapa wrote:
> For this to work the person wanting to be authorized _*must*_ be
> prepared.  They must know all of the rules and when questioned before
> any combat must convince the marshal that they know  those rules.  They
> must bring their armor and equipment and be comfortable with it's use.
> They need to have contacted the marshals in advance to assure that
> sufficient time and resources can be dedicated.

Which is where regular practices come into play.  Hopefully someone who
wants to get authorized has had a chance to shoot at targets and get
used to shooting CA equipment with a helm and gauntlets.  Then move on
to working with real fighters.  Then work in small melee groups at
combined or regional practices.  That way, by the time the big melee
events come around, they know the rules, they know what they're doing,
and they just need to demonstrate it for an authorizing marshal.  This
is what I hope to do in my area.  And as a side benefit, the combat
archers who are already authorized will have a chance to train more.
The fighters have practices every week, but we're lucky right now to
have several practices per season.

Just as a quick poll, how many groups out there have any kind of regular
combat archery practice either target or live?

Donnchadh