[Ansteorra-missile] [Am] Poll - Combat Archey availability with Heavy Fighters

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Fri Aug 25 06:48:37 PDT 2006

I have mentioned it before earlier this week and there has been other
announcements concerning combat archery in conjunction with Steppes
regular heavy practice as well as when there Joint Practices with
Steppes sister Barony Elfsea are held, that is held each Sunday from 2
PM to 6 PM. Or until people are ready to call it quits and go est. Or
when the sun sets. Depends on what happens first.

The Location is:
Mary Heads Carter Park
2320 Heads Lane
Carrollton, Texas 75006

The maximum number of archers that have show up - is 3 including myself.

Although I do practice solo at a much smaller target than what is used
in the target archery - IKCAC. I just find that target to be too big and
just too flat, prefer to used something that reflects the size of most
targets that are available when facing a shield wall.

In addition, I do provide a calibration for 1st time fighters and those
who have been away from a SCA battlefield for some time. I will shoot
them several times at varying distances, plus go over some of the rules
for interaction between a heavy fighter and a combat archer. Such as if
in doubt if that combat arrow had hit a legal target - then look around
and see if the archer is willing to give feedback.  The minimum distance
that a combat archer can legally shoot an opponent, etc...

I tell them for me, I will wait and see how and more importantly where
my arrow has hit the fighter. If the heavy fighter looks and make a
gesture as if asking a question - then I will response with hand
gestures indicating where the arrow hit and it I consider it good. If
the I consider the arrow hitting an valid portion of their body or was
just a pure invalid hit then I am waving at them with my string hand,
chest high, and parallel to my chest. I have even gone as far to attract
the attention of fighters around the fighter in question to get that
fighter to come back to the line and the fight.

Soapbox time:
I much rather been a bit slower in my rate of fire, which my commander -
Ld Hosey and I have had numerous discussions over, it is a trade off
here, than assume that every combat arrow that I fire is an automatic
"kill". To think this is true, is fantasy and those who think that need
to get off the field and perhaps go find another group, such as those
who play with magic missiles and such. I have found that many heavy
fighters are delighted to find a combat archer with thoughts of being
chivalry on the field.  To the extend that I have saluted by them when
they have returned to the field and continue to play in that scenario.
Of course, if the opportunity present itself I will shoot them again and
attempt to be sure that the shot is valid. And there is disagreement
from them or their shield wall buddies.

Afterall, only the front portion of a combat arrow does the killing and
that any other portion of the arrow.

I am there every Sunday with my equipment, usually I am the only archer
that will attend this practice on a regularly basics.

How often a melee will happen in the park? That depends upon what the
heavy fighters are planning to go over that day.

Ld Michael Kettering