[Ansteorra-missile] Clear the bow!

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Thu Dec 13 17:52:29 PST 2007

Eadric Anstapa wrote:
> Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:
>
>> Personally, I don't see that the extra layer of foam adds that much
>> benefit.  I've been shot in unarmored spots with baldars, and they're
>> harder than a 2 layer UHMW.
>>
> What's a 2 layer UHMW?

2 layers of blue foam.  I didn't want to say I'd been shot with a 1/2"
tip because 2 layers of foam is a bit more than 1/2 inches, but still
under 1".

>>  Certainly doesn't hurt as much as a glaive
>> shot by some meat monkey =).  So unless there's some overwhelming reason
>> we want to be different than society standards, why deviate?
>>

> Not it doesn't hurt as much as a glaive or a sword or a Baldar Blunt but
> none of those are allowed on the rapier field.  Do we want Ansteorran
> archers to build one set of ammo for the rapier field, and another set
> for the armored field?  Do we want Ansteorran missile marshals to have
> to keep track of all the the padded blunts that come through inspection
> point and make sure that they always stay separate and dont get mixed up
> and accidentally get 1/2" padded blunts on the rapier field?
>
> Remember our rapier fighters aren't wearing much rigid armor, they may
> not be wearing any rigid armor on the sides and back of their heads,
> they may not be wearing any rigid armor on their necks and we don't want
> to injure people.  Baldar Blunts and 1/2" padded UHMW blunts will dent
> rapier masks badly.
>
> I got no problem being shot with a with a Baldar Blunt or 1/2" padded
> UHMW blunt  as long as it isn't in the throat or head while I am without
> rigid armor in those places.  There is a reason why Ansteorra has
> required marshals to wear gorgets when there is missile combat on the field.
>
> Regards,
>
> -EA

No, I'm not advocating a different set of ammo for armored combat versus
rapier.  The 1/2" society standard applies to both types of combat, so I
didn't see it as an actual safety issue.  I also thought a gorget was
part of the standard rapier armor.  It was checked for when I went to
play with them at BAM.  I wouldn't want to get shot in an unarmored
throat, period, whether there was 1" or 1/2" of padding on the tip.

So as I understand it, the reason we have had a 1" rule is specifically
for rapier CA.  What are the other kingdoms using for rapier CA?  If
there is a safety issue with 1/2" blunts, shouldn't that be changed at
society level?

Donnchadh