[Ansteorra-missile] Clear the bow!

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Dec 13 17:26:48 PST 2007

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:
> Personally, I don't see that the extra layer of foam adds that much
> benefit.  I've been shot in unarmored spots with baldars, and they're
> harder than a 2 layer UHMW.
What's a 2 layer UHMW?

>  Certainly doesn't hurt as much as a glaive
> shot by some meat monkey =).  So unless there's some overwhelming reason
> we want to be different than society standards, why deviate?

Not it doesn't hurt as much as a glaive or a sword or a Baldar Blunt but
none of those are allowed on the rapier field.  Do we want Ansteorran
archers to build one set of ammo for the rapier field, and another set
for the armored field?  Do we want Ansteorran missile marshals to have
to keep track of all the the padded blunts that come through inspection
point and make sure that they always stay separate and dont get mixed up
and accidentally get 1/2" padded blunts on the rapier field?

Remember our rapier fighters aren't wearing much rigid armor, they may
not be wearing any rigid armor on the sides and back of their heads,
they may not be wearing any rigid armor on their necks and we don't want
to injure people.  Baldar Blunts and 1/2" padded UHMW blunts will dent
rapier masks badly.

I got no problem being shot with a with a Baldar Blunt or 1/2" padded
UHMW blunt  as long as it isn't in the throat or head while I am without
rigid armor in those places.  There is a reason why Ansteorra has
required marshals to wear gorgets when there is missile combat on the field.

Regards,

-EA