[Ansteorra-missile] Clear the bow!

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Dec 13 21:45:32 PST 2007

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:

> I realized during this discussion, that I was thinking of the 3/4"
> GulfWars standards, not the 1/2" SCA standards when I was thinking about
> how hard they hit.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to get hit with just
> a 1/2" blunt.  I know that in addition to GulfWars, Trimaris and
> Meridies also use the 3/4".  Do you think that 3/4" would be a good
> thickness for us to standardize on as well?
I dunno if I would want to go to 3/4".   Make some and go shoot some of
yer rapier buddies in the tender areas from 10' away and see what they
think.

If yer not going to go to the SCA standard of 1/2" across the board
then why choose 3/4" instead of 1"?  What is the advantage there?  The
cost and labor difference is really insignificant.  Right now I own
about a thousand pieces of ammo and it'll cost me about $30 for the foam
for all of those and thats for excellent quality foam.

I  think 1" has proven itself for us.  It meets or exceeds the standards
of any kingdom or war in the known world and will be accepted anywhere.
It's kind to the rapier folks and I want ammo I can use of and  I am
willing to spend the extra couple of pennies per missile to play nice.
I am going to stick with 1" of foam.

-EA