[Ansteorra-missile] From Robin

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sun May 6 14:06:58 PDT 2007

Not just Regional marshals are authorizing marshals.

I am _/*not*/_ speaking for our Kingdom Missile Marshal but here is my
take on it.  The comments are not aimed at any individuals and are just
based on my personal experience.

Make take is that basically the authorizing marshals are the list of
people that the Missile Marshal has near complete faith in.  Faith that
they will be complete and thorough in discharging the duties and
responsibilities of the office.

Just on general principle I would suggest the following short list of
qualifications for people wanting to be a an authorizing marshal.

1.  An _*experienced*_ Missile Combattant in good standing.
2.  A member of the SCA
3. An _*experienced*_ Missile Combat Marshal in good standing

There are caveats to all of the above.

First and foremost you should have never been caught deliberately
breaking or bending  any rules.  Once you are an experienced archer and
marshal you basically shouldn't ever be cited for breaking any rules at
all.  If you are truly an _*experienced*_ archer and marshal then you
should be intimate with all the rules and should not be able to claim
ignorance of them.  If you claim ignorance then perhaps you are not
experienced enough and aren't ready for the responsibility of being an
authorizing marshal.

As an combat archer you should only do the things you KNOW are allowed
buy the rules and as a marshal you only allow to happen the things you
KNOW are allowed by the rules.  Everybody has lapses in memory at times
and that as why when you have doubts you ask a marshal, and as a marshal
when you have doubts you consult the copy of the rules you should have
available as part of your marshals kit.  Lapses in memory are easily
handled and easily forgiven, lapses in judgment are not.

Of course you have to be a member because all authorizing marshals are
warranted officers acting officially on behalf of the SCA when they do
the authorizations.  If you don't have a membership then you simply can
not be a marshal.

While you have been a marshal you should have a great record of
reporting.  That means you should have a near spotless record of
submitting your regular reports and a near spotless record when it comes
to submitting event reports where you act as the marshal in charge.  If
a person can't be trusted to get your regular reporting done then I
would contend that you likely cant be trusted to get the authorization
paperwork done either and therefore don't need to be an authorizing marshal.

For what it is worth our kingdom has more authorizing marshals than many
other kingdoms do.

Regards,

-EA