ARN - Re: Double wide vs. Schlager

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Wed Apr 14 13:49:02 PDT 1999

Elyas is right on the money with:

>  However, it's not the weapon that is generally revealed to be
> unsafe so much as the fighter that wields it. That is not to say, however,
> that minor bruising is an indication of overly hard calibration or an
> unsafe fighter. In the end, what we do _is_ combat and a few minor bruises
> come with the territory.

I agree with Elyas and Amerinda, that this is combat, so you should expect some
bruises.

However, the standard blow in this kingdom is one that is of sufficient force to
put a 2 inch bend in a #5 FOIL!!  That's about 4 pounds.  That is NOT MUCH.  If
you are getting consistent bends in excess of 2-3 inches in an epee, then you
are technically hitting a bit too hard.  If it is such a bend in a double-wide,
then you are hitting WAY TOO HARD.

All of the above are people problems, not weapons problems.  Talk to your
people.  Lower your calibration.

Kazimir Petrovich