ARN - Bruising (was Double wide vs. Schlager)

chauncey_r_roschbach@reliantenergy.com chauncey_r_roschbach at reliantenergy.com
Thu Apr 15 09:44:13 PDT 1999

Greetings Your Excellency!

*laughter* Yes, I'm still alive... just very, very busy. Three to four
practices a week, four horses, a demanding career, and a lovely wife tend
to do that.. *grin*

>Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is... except, I suppose, to ask how the
rest
>of *you* feel about this issue. Clearly, if a few PSI of thrust are enough
>run someone through, then you should seldom leave much more than a
dime-sized
>"hickey" (and those, by accident). And, clearly, getting a full-out thrust
in
>the ribs from a non-flexible weapon *hurts* (and *can* result in a broken
or
>cracked rib). But, then, there is risk of injury (even serious injury) in
>"heavy" combat as well. So, why the big cultural difference vis-a-vis
bruising?

I've given this a lot of thought and my answer may get me crucified but...

There are, from what I've been able to see, two breeds of fighters in the
SCA, I shant explain the difference in detail, but I think that you will
understand better than most...

There are fencers and there are swordsmen (Non-gender specific term).
Swordsmen are the same on either field... the weapons they use do not
matter, the fight is the same. As Don Durmust once but it: "Fighting is
what a fencer does... it's what a swordsman _is_ and we, my friend, are
swordsmen..."

A bit dramatically phrased, but true none the less.

As always, I remain,

Lord Elyas MacCrae
Rapier Marshal of the Barony of the Stargate
Ansteorra