ARN - our goals

Marcus Hite mbhite at arn.net
Sun Aug 1 18:20:15 PDT 1999

edward cantu wrote:

> At the risk of sounding like a cliche, I would like to propose we consider a
> "Mission Statement" that is so popular with the corporate motivional gurus
> of the mundane world.  Why should individuals fight duello?  Of what value

No, No,  I don't think there will ever be a formalized "mission statement"   on
the society level, or  kingdom level ...flatly, I don't believe in this.  There
are too many views, too many people.  But I do  believe we as fighters should
have some idea where we want our community to be heading, and some idea of where
others think it should be headed.  I know some are pushing toward......more
period style fighting,  different and new weapon styles,  more regional and
kingdom level practices, more local level stuff, and the list will go on, I'm
sure............... I think that fighters of all levels should think about this
question......Because.......well... even Don Tivar was a newcomer once,  and
look at how he has changed Ansteorra and the society as a whole.

My post was not to get together a group and form a common kingdom goal, but to
get people to think, really think about the community, and their existence in
this community.   You don't have to post "your goal" here but just think about
it....where do you want rapier in 5, in 10, and in 25 years...........and what
can you do to make this happen...........

Now Why did I posted the  goal I did...thats  simple...to get people to think
about their role in the community, one person can make a difference, and if I
have influenced one person to travel to smaller groups, to help spread rapier to
the far reaches, or if I have helped give one fighter in a far off place hope,
then my post *has* helped change the community in some small way...IMHO

May we meet on the field as friends,
Marquet de la Heyt
Cadet to Don Donovan