ARN - our goals

edward cantu eriondxx at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 13:02:16 PDT 1999

Cadet Marquet de la Heyt

I would agree that there is a need for a reaching out to different groups.
However, I feel as a prerequisite we would do well to identify our goals.
While the rewards of duello are many and individuals vary in what attracts
them, I would like to speak to perhaps a different level.

At the risk of sounding like a cliche, I would like to propose we consider a
"Mission Statement" that is so popular with the corporate motivional gurus
of the mundane world.  Why should individuals fight duello?  Of what value
is it in our world today?  What aspects of duello are we seeking to
emphasize?  Why should duellists care to support/promote the mission
statement?  The more we promote and model our goals, the more the rapier
community will be a vital CONTRIBUTOR to the SCA.

Yes, in larger groups throughout Ansteora, rapier groups do in fact
contribute greatly to the local SCA groups.  However, I agree that this may
not be the case throughout the kingdom.  I too would like a sense of
community with other rapier-fighters.  This is not possible in my local
group owing to the lack of interest in duello.

I was recently witness to the "scarffing" (I know, that's not a proper term)
of someone to be a cadet.  The ceremony was moving.  The sense of teacher
and student and commitment to the practice of duello was something special.
But the promise made, by the Don, was not to teach the pupil to be a better
fencer.  The promise was to instruct and encourage this person in "the way".

Two simple words..."the way".  They can mean so much to someone that is
interested in a sincere study of the more nobler side of "man". To
illustrate.  At 20th year celebration, I saw one of our more senior ladies
take a folding chair from the side of the great hall and carry it about 80
feet, in front of, and past many able-bodied gentlemen until finally a kind
gentle offered to carry the burden for her.
I have no doubt as to the fighting ability of many good gentles in rapier.
But what of their interest in others and the SCA?

There are so many in our community with so much to offer if they are given
the proper encouragement and direction.  There is so much that we can be
proud of.  There is so much that we can share with others if we set the
proper expectations from and with each other.

I apologize for my rambling speech.  I believe Cadet Marquet, that you
struck a cord with me.  To summarize my long-winded babble.  I too would
like for our community to identify goals.  Goals, that demand the best from
us as people not just as duellists.

In service,

Ld. Alessandro