ARN - Advantages

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Wed Aug 11 12:52:45 PDT 1999

"Dean, Jenice A." wrote:

> Remember that an opponent can always refuse to face a non standard blade.  I
> don't want to have to worry that if I refuse to face an opponent with a non
> standard blade that I might get hurt as a result.

Not precisely true.  It is the responsibility of BOTH combatants to *agree* on
which weapons each will use before entering the field.  This is a change from
the old rules.

Under the old rules, you could, if you decided you didn't want to face me and my
epee, force me to rearm to a foil. The foil was the *baseline* weapon, and you
were forcing me into two selections: foil or yield.

This is no longer the case.  If we cannot reach an agreement, BOTH of us lose,
because neither of us may take the field, not having reached an agreement about
weapons beforehand.  This is really good motivation to communicate.

Foils, epees (single and double wide), fiberglass, schlager, and del tin are ALL
*standard*.

Of course, the SCA rules of the list maintain your right to refuse to face any
person (regardless of weapon borne) .., but this means that YOU must yield to
refuse them..., not force them to.

Kazimir Petrovich