ARN - Cold Blades

JEvans5420@aol.com JEvans5420 at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 19:18:20 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/5/99 1:09:09 AM Central Standard Time,

<< In a message dated 12/4/99 10:45:53 PM Central Standard Time,
mbhite at arn.net
 writes:

 << Greetings,

  When I first started playing some years ago, I was told that practicing
  with an Epee (or any other metal blade) in cold weather was a bad idea
  because there is a larger chance of the blade braking.  I have always
  followed this advice, but I was wondering if anyone had so data to back
  this up.    And if so at what temperature is it considered unsafe to
  practice in?

  May we meet on the field as friends,
  Marquet de la Heyt
  Cadet to Don Donovan >>

 I also have always been told to "warm" my blades before using them. In both
 the SCA and when I fenced in the Navy and UT Fencing Club. I think it is
 because the cold makes the blades more brittle. And warming them helps them
 to bend the way they should.

 Pieter >>

Hello,

I have no doubt that you Lords know something on this subject.  Yes, I
understand that cold temperatures make metal brittle.  But, how cold does it
need to get before it changes the quality of metal blades significantly or to
the point that we humans need to worry?  If it is cold enough to change the
reflexive quality of my blade, do I fence or store meat?

Harry