ARN - Cold Blades

paul kaveshan pkjdw at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 07:36:18 PST 1999

>   When I first started playing some years ago, I was told that practicing
>   with an Epee (or any other metal blade) in cold weather was a bad idea
>   because there is a larger chance of the blade braking.  I have always
>   followed this advice, but I was wondering if anyone had so data to back
>   this up.    And if so at what temperature is it considered unsafe to
>   practice in?
>
>   May we meet on the field as friends,
>   Marquet de la Heyt
>   Cadet to Don Donovan >>

Greetings

I was also told that cold is bad for the blades.
I remember the meeting that Marquet is talking about and the reccomended
temperature to beware of was stated to be 40f.
If it is that cold, warm your blade.  But, how long will a "warm" blade stay
warm?  If your whipping the blade around in the cold, its gonna get cold
VERY fast.
Use common sense.  Check for flexibility of the blade when fencing in cold
weather.

Ld James De Warrenne
Cadet to OEngus of Greymist
Shire of Tempio