ARN - Cold Blades

CADET1313@aol.com CADET1313 at aol.com
Mon Dec 6 20:16:38 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/6/99 12:40:08 PM Central Standard Time,
wayner at languy.com writes:

<< Please do not misconstrue my question as an attack, but I have to ask: Both
 Piet and Marquet said they were told to warm their blades. By whom were you
 told, and what expertise or experience gave them unquestionable authority on
 the subject? As far as strip fencing goes, isn't that usually done at
 climate controlled indoor facilities? Why would you be warming blades there?
 Also, has anyone documented an increase in blade breakage due to cold
 weather ( I believe that this was Marquet's original question)? Facts, not
 hearsay, or "there I was..." stories please.

 Duncan Hepburn
 The Steppes of Ansteorra

OK? Well, I was told this by Vincent Bradford. She is a 3 time winner of the
gold metal at the pan American games in epee. ( see your Guinness book for
years) She was the main fencing teacher at the University of Texas at Austin.
She is also one of the main coaches in the committee for rules changes and
coach training for the USFA.
  I don't know if you have ever been to UT at Austin's room at Belmont 301. It
is always cold in the winter and always hot in the summer. It is a cold
concrete building. Also in the winter when we were bringing our blades to
class or tourney they got well real cold and before we used them on the strip
we were told to warm them.

  I have seen that epees and foils break more in the winter then in the
summer. I do not have real numbers to through out but I worked with the
armorer for a while at UT and it was a plain fact there.

Pieter