ARN - Cold Blades

HLOriana@aol.com HLOriana at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 20:09:15 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/6/99 12:40:08 PM Central Standard Time,
wayner at languy.com writes:

<< Both
 Piet and Marquet said they were told to warm their blades. By whom were you
 told, and what expertise or experience gave them unquestionable authority on
 the subject? As far as strip fencing goes, isn't that usually done at
 climate controlled indoor facilities? Why would you be warming blades there?
 Also, has anyone documented an increase in blade breakage due to cold
 weather ( I believe that this was Marquet's original question)? Facts, not
 hearsay, or "there I was..." stories please. >>

    Once upon a time, how long ago I will not say, both my husband and I were
on the collegiate fencing team in Duluth, Minnesota.  Due to space
constraints, we frequently practiced out of doors.  Our coach forbade these
practices if the temperature fell below 45 degrees Farenheit.  It is possible
to warm a blade by friction, either with your gloved hand (hard on the
gloves, by the way), or with a piece of steel wool.  However, this warming
lasts only seconds.
    Inevitably, there came a spring day when we were overly anxious to get
out of doors despite the 40 degree temperature.  After snapping three blades
in half an hour we gave it up as a bad notion.  Could have been coincidence I
suppose, and not cold weather, but I've never taken the chance again.

Oriana Corbizzi
Northern Ansteorra