ARN - Advice for the New Fighter

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Thu Feb 25 16:29:49 PST 1999

As most of you are probably tired of hearing, I'm putting
together the Ansteorra-Rapier Web Site.  Nope...can't go
there yet (need to finish up with copyrights).  I have one
section that's called "Advice for the New Fighter".  On this
page, will be the usual, "Where to buy stuff", how to make
armor, links to rules, etc, etc. But I'd really like an
actual ADVICE section.  To this end, I'm soliciting
comments.

Question:
What are the top two/three bits of advice that you give to
new rapier fighters?

Some of mine are:
Don't worry...this takes time.  Your brain will put it
together when you practice.
Remain true to yourself...don't let anyone turn you into
someone else.
As long as you are fighting safely, there is no right or
wrong way to do what we do.  Some techniques may get you
killed more often...but someone in period probably did it,
too.