ARN - Scarf meanings (was Cadets in Court)

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 09:42:11 PDT 1999

I have only recently begun to fight in Rapier combat, and I do not have a
scarf of any color, but I do have a belt of green. What the green, red, and
yellow belts, and the red scarfs mean to me is simple.

1. an expert in some field has publicly recognized this person for doing
well.

2. they are in training to become better.

3. they are publicly advertising this desire to better themselves in their
field.

4. they represent their teacher, wether by oath ar contract, what they do
reflects directly upon whomever the belt/scarf belongs to.

5. both the person wearing the belt/scarf and the person to whom the
belt/scarf belongs to want feed back on how and what this person is doing.

So do I treat those wearing a scarf or belt differently than an
unscarfed/belted? Yes. I watch them with a more critical eye. I look for
them to teach, and to serve their chosen avocation. I do this because by
wearing the token in public they and their teachers have ask for them to be
watched. This doesn't mean I don't watch unbelted/scarfed folk to. One can
often learn as much from watching as from doing.

Hl Darius of the Bells