ARN - Scarf meanings (was Cadets in Court)

Iain Dyved MacDowell dyved at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 14:13:38 PDT 1999

I can only say that this saddens me that an individual thinks that only by
having a scarf, can they teach others.  It happens too often that a
perceived rank gives an air of expertise.  Anyone can pass on relative
information to anyone else.  Just because a person is scarved does not make
that individual an expert.

  If someone has taken the time to give instruction to a group or an
individual, then by all means let them do just that. If the information that
they are passing on is totally wrong, maybe as a quiet aside to the
instructor, someone should mention it, and then be prepared to make valid
points as to why they believe so.  If I were to see a person just interrupt
a class with their opinion and then walk away, I would dismiss their
comments and go on about what I was trying to do in the first place, LEARN.

  To me, a scarf is something that I'm seriously striving for.  I look to
most red scarves as individuals that have taken our game and ran with it.
They need not be experts, only those who enjoy the game and play it at full
speed ahead.  They have gotten the attention of a Don/a and are striving to
become more than what they started out to be.  An unscarved person may
encompass all of the above, but due to circumstances, may not have been
noticed by a Don/a with which they can build a relationship.  There are
numerous areas within the SCA that their are no Dons/Donnas or even Cadets.
Are we to think less of them, I think not.

  I say Vivat to all who practice this our chosen game, scarved or not, we
all strive for the same ends I belive.

Iain Dyved MacDowell
Marshal, Shire of Seawinds
Privateer for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
Captain of the Storm Crow
Unscarved and playing away...