ARN - My Knee

Miriam Cook miriz at rocketmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:39:31 PDT 1999

That's great!  The positive effects of not
having the surgery really outweigh the instant
(well almost) gratification of the surgery.  If
with these new cartilage growing drugs a damaged
knee can recover, that is awesome! I know that I
will need to have more operations as I get
older, and the knee will never be "healed."
Good luck to you! (Zahava goes grumbeling off
wishing that medical advances happened 5 years
faster.....)

--Zahava batHannah

===
"I'm trying to tell you something 'bout my life.
Maybe give me insight between black and white.
But the best thing you've ever done for me
Was to help me take my life less seriously.
It's only life after all."
       ---"Closer to Fine"--- Indigo Girls

---Robert Kern <Wolfe at intellisys.net> wrote:

> FINALLY got ahold of my doctor.  Situation is
a bit different than my
> parents understood it.  The reason that he
didn't fix my knee is that he
> thinks there is a chance it can heal on it's
own with the help of certain
> drugs.  So he didn't remove the bad cartilage.
>
> The short term effect is that I will be a much
longer time in the healing
> process.  We are talking months before I even
reenter physical therapy, and
> then several months of therapy.  But the long
term effect is that if it
> works, it would be a real 100% regrowth, as
opposed to him cutting out the
> damaged area.
>
> So, that's what is going on.  I won't be
fencing any this year it looks
> like, and it will be awhile before I can even
get to any SCA events.  But
> hopefully next year I'll be as good as new.
>
> The real reason the doc is taking this longer
approach is to avoid
> arthritis some ten years down the road.
>
> Well, for those that are interested, that's
what's going on.

> Robert Wolfe
> Rapier Marshall of Falconridge
> MKA
> Robert Kern

<HR>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000"
name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>FINALLY got ahold of my doctor.  Situation
is a bit different than my
parents understood it.  The reason that he
didn't fix my knee is that he
thinks there is a chance it can heal on it's own
with the help of certain
drugs.  So he didn't remove the bad cartilage.
</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The short term effect is that I will be a
much longer time in the healing
process.  We are talking months before I even
reenter physical therapy, and
then several months of therapy.  But the long
term effect is that if it
works, it would be a real 100% regrowth, as
opposed to him cutting out the
damaged area.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>So, that's what is going on.  I won't be
fencing any this year it
looks like, and it will be awhile before I can
even get to any SCA events.
But hopefully next year I'll be as good as new.
</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The real reason the doc is taking this
longer approach is to avoid
arthritis some ten years down the road.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Well, for those that are interested, that's
what's going on.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Robert Wolfe</DIV>
<DIV>Rapier Marshall of Falconridge</DIV>
<DIV>MKA</DIV>
<DIV>Robert Kern</DIV></BODY></HTML>