ARN - Future Academy of the Rapier Booklet

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Tue Oct 5 17:07:49 PDT 1999

Greetings fellow Ansteorrans!

I've been asked by my friend down in Seawinds, to help him put together
an Academy of the Rapier booklet, for the Academy of the rapier that his
group is bidding for.  I've had a number of ideas, listed below.  I'm
soliciting additional ideas/articles, as well as folks who will would
like to volunteer to write about any of these present ideas...

Clothing:
1.  Rapier-Associated Hats:  Which are actually period to 1600...to
1620?  Felt Hats:  How to block or reblock a felt hat.  Making a nifty
Elizabethan hat from a felt hat blank.  Hat Accessories.  How to make a
cavalier hat.  How to rescue wet feathers.

2.  Torso:  Period patterns that will result in something that is legal
under the new rules.  How to make those nifty slashed/paned sleeves.
How to be as beautiful as Robert on the field (hehe...).  Judy's Linen
can be used to make a heat-reducing 3-layer doublet/shirt combination.
Making a period pouffy shirt.  A quick and safe under-shirt shell.

3.  Gloves:  Glove maintenance.  Glove creation.  Cuff
addition/modification of mundane gloves, to create a period flair.
Glove Sources.

4.  Pants:  Repeat Tivar's Quick and Dirty trunk hose?  Pattern for the
Big Pants with Canions (spelling and proper noun blockage) that many are
wearing now.

5.  Boots:  Ways to make a period boot from somethign you buy at
Walmart.  Boot accessories.  Spatting/slashing black tennies.

6.  Hoods:  Pattern for a hood that's directly afixed to a fencing
mask.  Hoods/padding techniques used for fencing helms of various
styles.

7.  Helms:  What's out there, when are they from, how to make various
styles legal, pros and cons of use.

8.  Weapons:  What's all this about daggers
(discussion/description/source for the new dagger types)?  Article about
origin, etc, of Del Tin Blades and who is selling them.  Period
schlager/del tin specific techniques.  40+ inch blade strategies.
Training an Epee right (so that it lasts as long as possible).  Making a
swept-hilt, epee-legal (even at Pennsic, Avery... ;)  ).  Making a
gorget.

9.  Actual fighting:  Cloak-guy's favorite Cloak techniques.  Basic
Buckler Strategies.  Using a scabbard.  Very-effective-killer's favorite
drills.  Warm up drills.  Hand Sniping.  How to focus for a tourney.
Case is Fun...if you practice it correctly.  Successful Ground
Fighting.  A short course on Tourney Styles.  Fighting in defensive
stance.  Using your opponents sense of timing against him.  A short
fighters advice on killing tall people.  Fighting in the Round.

10.  New Fighters-  Becoming Authorized. What to expect at your first
Tourney.   Beyond Authorization.  Etiquette on the field.  How to gain
infamy, quickly.  Advice on Blow Calling.    Good starter blade combo to
buy.  Good basic moves that will kill overconfident experienced
opponents (or Isobel).  A newby's first day out...what should you teach
him/her?  Hills and Canyons; don't get discouraged when you seem to be
deproving!    Effective teaching strategies.  Goals for the new fighter.

11.  What is a Cadet.  What misc. Dons look for in a cadet.

12.  Theory:  Italian vs French dueling concepts.  Were Rapiers used at
War?  The Roaring Girls; A reasonable English Rapier Persona for women.
What are we doing out here, anyway?  etc., etc.  Women on the list
field.  Famous Rapier Duels.  Great movies for Rapier fighters.  Great
documentaries/instructional videos for rapier fighters.  Remember...this
is supposed to be fun.

13.  Misc:  Crossing over to Heavy Fighting...what can I expect?  A
rapierists guide to the HW Spear.  Fighting rapier in other Kingdoms.
Fighting Rapier at War.

14.  Youth Rapier.  Introduction to Ansteorran Youth Rapier.  Summary of
Rules that are different from Adult rules.  Advice when teaching kids.
Marshaling Kids.

15.  Summary of Society Rules changes.

16.  Marshaling:  What makes a blade bad?  Etc...

Well...here are more topics than will every make it into one booklet.
Pick one or two that strike your fancy and let me know that you want to
write somethign.  Or...again, feel free to write about anything else,
too!

Isobel