ARN - Newby Question

Wayne Ross wayner at languy.com
Fri Apr 14 08:56:09 PDT 2000

I want to throw my two cents worth in here...speaking as someone with a 16th
century Lowland Scottish persona. Scotland in period had strong ties with
the French moreso than the English. The language of court was French...not
English or Gaelic. A lot of the nobles were actually of French descent or
birth. That is one of the reasons for the emnity between the highlands and
the lowlands. While my name is registered as Duncan Hepburn, the period
spelling and pronounciation is "de Hibburne". If you want a lowland Scottish
outfit, look to the French style of the age for cut and color. MUCH more
fashionable than what the dirty English were wearing, I can assure you sir.
(that was said in a light tone...meaning no serious offense). If you are
looking for a Highland style of dress...then the fashion is much less
"Elizabethan", and more what we think of when we think of Scots (kilts,
trews, etc.).
And if, as a newcomer, this is too much information you are being hit with,
and is risking you having fun....then go with something that gives the
flavor of being a Scot, while being more conventional..i.e. a sash of tartan
draped across the chest of your leather jerkin will identify you as a Scot.

Hope this helps.

Duncan Hepburn
The Steppes of Ansteorra