ARN - RE: Ansteorra's Rose's Tourney

Lisa A. May maaggie at texas.net
Wed Dec 20 17:41:39 PST 2000

        After some discussion, Countess Valeria ran the tourney with a
"tourney tree" wherein those who lost a fight were then matched against
others who had one loss, while those who were undefeated faced other
undefeated fighters.  Modius, the bye was most decidedly not irrelevant --
we wanted to see more matches.  Making the bye non-destructive meant that
there were at least three fights more than there would otherwise have been,
and we got to cheer on the fighters that much longer!   :-)  :-)

        The quarter-finals included the only remaining undefeated fighters
facing each other:  Don Simon and Don Alexander, with Don Simon advancing as
victor of that bout.  The other matchings involved fighters who each had one
loss.  The semi-finals then matched Don Alexander with Lord Iago, who was
being a thug (nyah!) and killed my lord rather quickly.  I'm afraid I can't
remember who Avery faced in the semi's, although he obviously advanced to
the finals to fight two matches against Don Simon.  I know Simon fought and
lost to the bye during one round, perhaps it was the semi-final round?

        At any rate, the finals pitted against each other Avery and Simon,
with Simon officially undefeated.  That meant that Avery needed to win two
matches against Simon to win the tourney.  He didn't quite manage to pull it
off, but he fought beautifully.  We would have been pleased to have had any
of the fighters in the list become our first Defender of the Rose.  It was
touching that the winner was Tessa's consort though -- considering how much
the rapier community owes her, it was rather fitting.

        For those of you who attended our first Defender tourney -- THANK
YOU!!  We were amazed and very gratified that so many of you (25 in the
list) attended this event so close to Christmas and after a week of such
cold weather!  We had a wonderful time and the fighting was marvelous.  For
those of you who missed it, don't worry, we'll be sponsoring more in the
future.  Again, our thanks to the Barony of Bjornsborg (including the muff
squad) and Their Excellencies Emrys and Brianna, as well as Master Cynric
and Baroness Seraphina for allowing us to "take over" their event Sunday
morning (and for providing the bright, sunny weather as well).

Margaret
Lisa A. May

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily then eat and drink as
friends."