ARN - Heavy Rapier Only?

Theron Bretz tbretz at mciworld.com
Thu Feb 24 07:26:10 PST 2000

>Schlager-jocks??? now thats a new term I have not heard before. Thou I
>would be hard pressed to call Martin a schlager-jock. (even thou that is
all
>he fights with. look for the young man with the truely bated blades which
>have been corked)

I haven't met the gentleman, tho' I will admit the term is a tad unfair.

To my view, those using heavy rapier tend to fall into one of two
categories.  The first are those who are striving for as much authenticity
as possible, a laudable goal, which will inevitably get them branded as
'those elitist snobs from Bryn Gwlad' (regardless of where they're actually
from).  :-)

The second are those who want the heaviest toy that hits the hardest and
looks the "kewlest".  They see foils and epees as 'wimpy' and are out to
win-win-win.  These are the same sort of people who switched to double-wides
the moment they became legal so their opponents wouldn't have any doubts
about whether or not they'd been hit.

Of the two, the term "schlager-jock" applies more to the second group.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Etienne