ARN - Heavy Rapier Only?

Walter Robin aborman at provalue.net
Thu Feb 24 12:15:55 PST 2000

The primary problem with the standard epee vs. Rapier argument is that epee
is the default...Everyone has that epee authorization...
So we continually go to tournaments and get one, maybe two fights with our
schlagers, but have to fight the rest with epee.
What is wrong with a tournament where likeminded individuals can all use the
weapon they prefer? It's OK! because it's about FUN. This is not an issue
for epee fighters who can always refuse to face a schlager. ( I know the
rules say I can be a putz and refuse to agree so that we both lose the
fight )

It's about community....that's why a woman-only tournament is OK, or a White
Scarf only tourney is OK, or even a newcomers tournament is OK!  [ my own
expansion on Don Dore's comments on different list ] Heavy Rapier is another
community....really, it's not blanket snobbery!

It's OK, if as Chandra says, it is clearly announced. It's a game, and we
don't HAVE to accomodate all the people all the time. Considering that HR is
a separate authorization, maybe having a separate HR tournament makes MORE
sense...not LESS!

Ld Walter Robin,
cdt Don Navarre