ARN - Heavy Rapier Only?

j_smallw@TITAN.SFASU.EDU j_smallw at TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Sun Feb 27 09:17:59 PST 2000

Piet,

Obviously there are some objections to having GOG as a heavy rapier only tourney.  In my opinion, given the history of Guardian, I would suggest that the main tournement be an open tournement.  It's supposed to be the 2nd most prestigeous tournement in this kingdom and to deny a portion of the rapier fighters the opportunity to participate is unconscionable.

Make Guardian an open tournement and have other activities as planned, including a heavy rapier only tourney.

Fot that matter, you could let Guardian die.  You could use all your ideas, including having the main tournement be heavy only, with a new event.  This would let you start a new tradition without any of the objections that have been brought up.

Personally, I feel that to switch Guardian to a heavy only format would be like resurrecting Nine Worthies, and seriously tinkering with it's basic premises.  It also seems like someone is trying majorly push the heavy rapier rather than letting it evolve at its own rate.

Ansgar