ARN - Ansteorran Queen's Champion (was Re: RN- Fighting indoors

Travis Walker travis.walker at netxv.net
Wed May 31 08:32:31 PDT 2000

Mine may not be worth much, but here it is.  I fought all day Saturday
at Steppes in the heat, ended up fighting over thirty fights in the
schlager tournament, then came out Sunday
afternoon and fought all day.

I watched myself closely for dehydration and/or heat exhaustion.  I kept
fluids in before during and after fighting both days.  At the end of the
tournament Sunday, I felt just as good as before the tournament
Saturday.

I think it is up to the individual to police themselves when in the
heat.

The thought of fighting indoors kinda ruins the whole period idea of
rapier fighting out on a list for the honor of your Queen.  If we have
to move it indoors we need to scrap the boots and wear sneakers.  While
were at it, lets just scrap all that garb stuff just wear sweats and a
fencing jacket.  You know if we limit the list fields to about 4ft wide,
we could get a lot more in there too.  Then we could have us a good ol'
fencing tournament.

I know I am being sarcastic, but I could have joined a fencing club at
any time.  I chose the SCA for the atmosphere, not the comfort.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Ld. Edward Mercer
Cadet to Don Alden
HRM Rapier Guard.