ARN - Modern Epee Teaching Workshop

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:46:28 PDT 2000

Hello!

I went to the Training a New Fencer in Foil class at Palo Alto College
Fencing Club (modern, but they like SCA people) and learned quite a
lot.  Now they are doing Epee, with a focus on moving students to the
intermediate level of fighting.  Sounds good to me.  We don't have to
take the Tests on Sunday....so it's a Friday night and all day Saturday
thing, for only $40.00.  If you want to come, crash space can be found.

Isobel

On Friday, September 22 through Sunday, September 24, United States
Fencing Coaches Association
(USFCA) Vice-President and Fencing Master Wendell Kubik will conduct an
Epee Coaches Clinic at the
PACFC (Palo Alto College, in San Antonio).

Overview of the Clinic

The purpose of this workshop will be to train coaches on how to move the
beginning epee fencer to the intermediate level.

The tentative schedule is as follows:

Friday, September 22 (6pm-8pm) :  Overview of the Clinic; Epee
technique, advantages & disadvantages of classical, East European and
German systems; Concept of forward target; and Mental Training.

Saturday, September 23 (9am-Noon, 2pm-5pm)

Preparing students for lessons; How to select correct lesson material
for your students; How to plan the training cycle for your students;
Giving and taking lessons (Clinic topics covered); and Preparing for
written and practical instructor's exams.

Sunday, September 24 (9am-Noon, 2pm-5pm):  Written instructor's exam
(9am-Noon); Practical instructor's exam (2pm-5pm). Participants wishing
not to take the instructor's exam, may observe the practical
examinations for future reference.

At the successful conclusion of this clinic, participants will be
offered the opportunity to join the US
    Fencing Coaches Association and take the Moniteur (instructor) Exam.

Fees
A course fee of $40.00 is payable to the Palo Alto College Division of
Continuing Education;

Optional fees for those participants interested in USFCA Moniteur's
(Instructor) Certification payable at the site are as follows:

    - Initiation Fee of $15.00

    - Instructor's Exam fee of $15.00

    - USFCA Moniteur Membership fee of $25.00

    For more information, contact Coach Kubik at 495-3176 or email him
at foilcoach at aol.com