ARN - rant

j_smallw@TITAN.SFASU.EDU j_smallw at TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Mon Sep 18 22:31:04 PDT 2000

As Robert pointed out, it was announced in the Black Star sometime before
the last Gulf War.  I don't think I went to an event during that time that
the fighters weren't told that they needed to get a new card.  (BTW, if you
haven't gotten one, you need to get one.)

Since you evidently hadn't heard about the new cards, your opinion of needing
them to be addressed in the handbook has some merit.  But I would like to point
out that part of the marshallate's job is to pass info like this down.  We put
it in the Black Star, but the info needs to be disseminated downward through
the regionals, through the local marshals to the rapier community at large.
Usually, a policy or rules changes will be published in the Black Star, be
announced at populace meetings, be printed in local newsletters, be announced
at local practices and a lot of times at events also.

If the communications fail, it's usually because either someone is not doing
their job or just doesn't know what their job is.  That, I feel, is what we
need to be addressing.  In other words, not knowing about the new cards is only
a symptom of the problem.

Ansgar