ARN - rant

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Tue Sep 19 04:50:27 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu>
To: <ansteorra-rapier at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: ARN - rant

> As Robert pointed out, it was announced in the Black Star sometime
before
> the last Gulf War.  I don't think I went to an event during that
time that
> the fighters weren't told that they needed to get a new card.  (BTW,
if you
> haven't gotten one, you need to get one.)
>
> Since you evidently hadn't heard about the new cards, your opinion
of needing
> them to be addressed in the handbook has some merit.  But I would
like to point
> out that part of the marshallate's job is to pass info like this
down.  We put
> it in the Black Star, but the info needs to be disseminated downward
through
> the regionals, through the local marshals to the rapier community at
large.
> Usually, a policy or rules changes will be published in the Black
Star, be
> announced at populace meetings, be printed in local newsletters, be
announced
> at local practices and a lot of times at events also.
>
> If the communications fail, it's usually because either someone is
not doing
> their job or just doesn't know what their job is.  That, I feel, is
what we
> need to be addressing.  In other words, not knowing about the new
cards is only
> a symptom of the problem.

It is true that the marshallate needs to be sure information gets out.
The information was printed in the Black Star and we in the Northern
region made an effort to reissue cards so everyone would have the new
ones, most notably at Northern Regional Tribute right before Gulf War.

Sometimes printed material is one way for the marshallate to get
information out.  Word of mouth is another.  Chain of command is
another, which in this case was weak since Chandra is one of my local
marshals.  However, I think "either someone is not doing their job or
just doesn't know what their job is." may be a little harsh.

> Ansgar

Hawkins.