ARN - While we're talking about the new cards...

Theron Bretz tbretz at mciworld.com
Tue Sep 19 09:06:41 PDT 2000

----- > > 1)  It is, in essence, a legal document and should be worded as
such.  To
> > trivialize the authorization to participate in fighting activities
> > diminishes the responsibility to do so safely.
>
> Ah Etienne, "lighten up dude" :)  A legal document can be phrased any
> way that conveys the message.  A simple phrase lkke "all to mom"
> scribbled on a piece of paper has been upheld as a legal last will and
> testament.  I'm not a laqwyer but I'm sure that our "Oakey Dokey"
> cards don't loose any legal significance because they are phrased in a
> light hearted manner.  Even if the lawyers in the group are a bit
> miffed about it.

I'm not concerned about its legality.  I'm worried that the language
trivializes the responsibilities inherent in carrying/utilizing said card.
Given that I've got a friend in a hospital in Chicago at the moment due to a
non-SCA sword fighting injury, perhaps I'm just oversensitive to the gravity
of what we do, but not by much.

Lord Walter's comments (unprofessional, mundane, inelegant), however, summed
it up better still.  I don't know if you've noticed, but the Society has
taken a good deal more care in it's official publications to avoid such
cutesy terminology ("farspeaker" no longer appears in the list of SCA slang
that comes with your membership, and "clothes" is suggested as an
alternative to "garb").  That a Lion of Ansteorra chose to put such mundane
verbiage on an official Kingdom document is perhaps the most galling point
of all.

Etienne
Home with a sick baby and therefore cranky by extension.