ARN - From the Earl Marshal

j_smallw@TITAN.SFASU.EDU j_smallw at TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Wed Sep 20 06:58:08 PDT 2000

Wow!  I stay off the list for just one night and look what happens.

Actually, I'm glad that it appears there is a resolution so quickly.  I read
Kief's posting with interest and I have to say that I am of similar mind on
almost all the points he made.  Personally, I found the "Okey-Dokey" kind of
refreshing and amusing.  I still do, even after all these months.  Partly
because of it's uniqueness and partly because sometimes we do get so involved
and serious that we need a break from time to time.

As far as trivializing people's safety, I hope I never see a marshal that does
because they won't be a marshal for long if I have any say in it.  We take our
jobs seriously, but that doesn't mean we can't have a sense of humor.

For sake of clarity, any comments suggesting that we print up our own cards
should not be taken seriously.

I started back when there were no such things as authorization cards.  Someone
initially vouched for you (usually a knight or a don as the case may be) and
from their on your Word was your bond.  We can't do that anymore because of the
various rules and regulations.

Regarding people's concerns, I would ask that if any of you have a question or
concern, please make it known to the appropriate people (me, Kief, etc).  You
don't have to wonder whether you're the only one, because if your question or
concern is important to you, then we're willing to listen and try and reconcile
the concern or answer the question.

One last note about the cards : the "Okey-Dokey" makes it real easy to
determine whether you've got an old card or a new card, doesn't it?

Ansgar