ARN - Authorization

Purple, Academia Site Master purple at schoolofdefence.org
Wed Jan 17 13:06:59 PST 2001

---- Original Message -----
From: "gtaylor" <gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>
To: <ansteorra-rapier at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: ARN - Authorization

> Hmmmm....
>
> It might be a good time to share what each of us does with authorization.
>
> What I do:
>
> Ask them basic questions:  Where are blows considered kills?  What happens
when
> you get hit in the arm?  Hand?  When a fighter is grounded, where can you
attack
> them? etc.

I usually ask them if the bottom of the foot is a target...

> Have them fight with single.
> Can they can mount a very basic attack and defense (Are they confident
enough to
> attack?  Interact with their opponent? Defend?  Note:  safety is
important...but
> a person who stands still on the field and doesn't lift a blade is
technically
> safe...I DO like to see that they are slightly functional, at least).  See
if
> they can call blows.  See that they aren't hitting too hard.  See that
they
> aren't slapping.  See how they react when "hold" is called.  See how they
react
> when my "stooge" presses them hard (no cringing allowed).

Actually, a person who stands still on the field and doesn't even retreat
when attacked isn't exactly safe in my book...  But why is cringing not
allowed?

> Add in an offensive secondary, usually dagger.  I've seen folks fall apart
when
> given one and really plow people with their long blade.  See that this
isn't
> happening.
> Add in a buckler.  See that they aren't going to freak and buckler punch
an
> opponent when pressed.

These are, of course, seperate authorizations in the MidRealm.  But, for the
most part, yes, this is the same.  I also tend to ask people "What can you
do with that sword that you can't do with that dagger?"  The answer, of
course, is "Hit people who are farther away", but I get all sorts of
interesting responses...

> Additional stuff.  If they don't know buckler or dagger, I'll sometimes
teach
> them beforehand.

We tend to make them go away and come back later... sometimes the same day,
sometimes a different event.

> Other things that I sometimes throw in, for free, to make sure that they
know:
> The blow calling standards are minimum- you can die dramatically from
lesser
> wounds.

We tend to not do that...

> Keep your butt on the ground when grounded.

Yep

> Shoulder vs chest.

Yep

> How to calibrate.

Yep

> Butterflying the hand.

What's this?  I'm sure I've seen it, but I don't recognize the terminology
in this context...

> Other stuff that I'm forgetting about.

like "breaking your wrist" so you don't gak someone...
fighting seated why oppenent standing, vice versa, both seated...
fighting off hand...

> If I'm authorizing someone I know and have watched fight many times
before, the
> authorization will not take terribly long.  On people whom I don't know, I
make
> them fight for a good bit, to assure myself of their safety.

We tend to make people authorize with marshals and opponents they _don't_
know, on purpose.   A good single authorization usually should take no more
than 15 minutes, the advanced auths (anything past single) can take as
little as 5, depending on which form...

Interestingly, I haven't seen any case authorizations in a REALLY long
time...

> Isobel

 purple

pics of Max!  http://www.mad-techies.org\images\max

"I am willing to put myself through anything: temporary pain or discomfort
means nothing to me as long as I can see that the experience will take me to
a new level.  I am interested in the unknown, and the only path to the
unknown is through breaking barriers, an often-painful process." - Diana
Nyad