ARN - Authorization

James T Crouchet jtc at io.com
Wed Jan 17 19:20:49 PST 2001

I try not to authorize someone I completely know nothing of.  I will
find out who they are working with and discuss the authorizing fighter
with their teachers prior to getting into the authorization.  If I
find out they haven't done any work previously, I just work with them
after telling them they won't authorize that day.

I do this as well. In fact, when I was in charge of Schlager for Ansteorra
and Hawkins was one of my deputies, it was an official policy. I guess it
stuck <grin>.

Really, I think it only makes sense. This came about because we had some
people who could not get authorized at home or who's cards had been pulled
who then traveled to regions where they were unknown to get a new card. What
a mess that was.

For some problems -- such as complete ignorance of the rules or zero
experience on the field -- a 10 minute fencing session will make it obvious.
Attitude and behavior problems, on the other hand, can be controlled long
enough to pass a test.

BTW, when I say attitude and behavior problems, I don't just mean hitting to
hard and ignoring blows. I am equally unamused by those who refuse to take
care of themselves, such as a person who frequently has problems with
dehydration or hyperglycemia on the field because they "forget" to eat or
drink as their condition requires. I don't consider such self neglect to be
noble.

Anyway, in general I won't authorize someone if I don't know them and I
can't find someone to speak for them.

Anyway, there was one addition I would like to suggest for Ansgar's list of
what to look for in an initial authorization. Run a tournament-like
scenario, complete with salutes, readys, lay on, Falling Down when dead,
taking the cards to the list mistress and all the other conventions. I am
not so much worried with failing a candidate on these items, but I would
like make sure they know how to behave in a tournament or, if not, that we
teach them during authorization. After all, the point of authorization is to
get official permission to play in a tournament.

Doré