ARN - Melee Terms

j_smallw@TITAN.SFASU.EDU j_smallw at TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Thu Jan 18 11:36:23 PST 2001

A point about convention.  Please remember that being "killed" does not
actually equate with actually dying had this been real life.  It is,
perhaps, more clearly stated that you have taken a "fight ending wound."
Now this could mean a lot of things.  You could be dead, unconscious,
maimed to where you can't continue, or just in too much pain.

Rather than just say that the "death" is instantaneous, we do allowed the
wounded fighter at least a word or too before crossing over into the
darkness.  It is sort of a compromise between "instant death" and playing
out the wounds to a more realistic conclusion such as death by infection
weeks later.

As far as saying, for instance, "Simone is dead!", that is fine in my
opinion since it clearly lets the others in her unit know not only that
they are down one body, but also who that person was.  Obviously if no one
in her unit knows who she is, there's a problem.  That's why you need to
get to know everyone on your unit/team.  It also helps in combat since you
can actually communicate with them and they know that you are talking to
them.  Saying "Hey you! In the blue doublet with the rectangular buckler!
Go help support those guys over there that are getting swarmed by the
enemy!" can work, but it's easier to say "Simone!  Go help out Iago and
Kayleigh!"

Ansgar