[Ansteorra-rapier] Advisory Roll

cbackus@peakonline.com cbackus at peakonline.com
Mon Jul 16 13:22:43 PDT 2001

Uncle Avery,

Can you please tell me what I should think too?  I'm not
sure I've got the same monopoly on the one truth that you
seem to have...

Don't nobody get bent out of shape, I just think you were a
little harsh... funny coming from me : P

More comments below.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:13:39 -0500
 "Sean Hertzberg" <s_hertzberg at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >The caterpiller can not know what it is to be a
> butterfly.
>
> Sorry Walter, I VERY much disagree.
>
> >Until the day I wear the scarf, my opinions on a
> candidate's worthiness are
> >largely irrelevant to the order. My opinions may reflect
> "right-minded"
> >thinking on my part, but why should they influence the
> circle's
> >understanding of itself?  The only thing I could do is
> answer a specific
> >question, such as: ' Is so-and-so still kind to small
> children and furry
> >animals when a WS is not around?'
>
> The WS are not perfect, they are human.  And they are not
> Gods.  They are
> the representatives of the rest of the rapier community
> to the Queen.  I
> have had this talk with several WS who I respect and they
> pretty much agree
> that they view themselves sort of like elected officials
> with the rapier
> community as their constituancy.  It is their job to see
> that the views of
> the group as a whole are heard as well as their own.

Ummmm.... perhaps.  Yet if a million people believe one
thing and I believe another - I'm going to vote my
conscience and not the popular vote.

> >As far as marshallate, rules, and community issues,
> perhaps the occasional
> >roundtable ( no more than 2 per year ) at a class-type
> event for an
> >agenda-d
> >discussion would be interesting.
>
> Don't forget, officially, the WS Circle has NOTHING to to
> do with the
> marshallate anymore.  There are WS in the Marshallate,
> but the Circle does
> NOT make or enforce the rules.  Look at the Regional
> Rapier marshals...I
> think only one of the 5 is a WS, the other 4 are cadets.
> I am running the
> list for Queens, and I am not a WS.

Officially it doesn't.  What exactly does that mean, though?
Does it mean we are out of line if we discuss marshallate
issues in a circle?  : )

> >It's hard for me to imagine a candidate being elevated,
> but rejected by the
> >community as a whole.  The scarf is so well respected;
> those that know the
> >candidate will or won't respect him (deservedly or
> undeservedly); those
> >that
> >don't know the candidate will respect him, by virtue of
> the scarf
> >(deservedly or undeservedly).  It might be very
> difficult for such a
> >candidate to accomplish anything within the circle, but
> in the outer
> >community he could be as well respected.
>
> Sorry, wrong, thank you for playing.

Damn, Avery, have some vestige of humility.  I agree with
WR.  The vast majority of the community will probably give
the WS their respect, not knowing that person isn't as weel
respected within the circle as some other candidates have
been.  Otherwise up North there would be respect for maybe
five out of region WSs... very few people have made the
effort to win our communities respect, yet our fighters are
generally kind enough to give them the benefit of the doubt
until the get to know them.  Ask Iago how he was treated at
our Warlord.  I don't think half of our fighters had seen
him before (I could be wrong and I also mean no disrespect
for Iago)

>It has happened
> before and I am afraid
> that someday it will happen again.  No matter what the
> Circle says, the
> decision to give someone a WS is in the hands of the
> crown.  Any Queen can
> give WS to anybody they want, be it the most deserving
> candidate, or her
> favorite cabana boy that she thinks will look cute as a
> Don.  We have been
> lucky, it has not happened in a while.  We have had a
> string of Queens that
> have cared and not forced anyone in.  But Queens have
> walked into the Circle
> in the past and announced "I am giving so-and-so a
> WS...and oh, what do you
> vote?"  And this does a VERY great disservice to the
> candidate (who will
> always carry the stigma of "yeah, he has a Scarf,
> but...") and to the rest
> of the community.

The rest of the community is not all composed of people who
are intimately associated with circle politics.  I still
guess that a majority of the rapier fighters would give
respect to a Don they don't know until he proves he doesn't
deserve it.  You think nobody will be given respect until
they earn it, I've seen nobody is shown disrespect until the
prove they deserve it.  Some Dons are given more respect in
some areas than others, I saw that with James' reputation in
the West, but I don't think that means the others aren't
respected.

> And on a personal rant.  The Scarf itself carries NO
> respect in my mind.  I
> can name several Dons and Donas...not all of them wear
> WS.  I can name
> several people who wear WS who will NEVER be a Don or a
> Dona...the person is
> MUCH more important than the award.  The Scarf is a
> symbol, nothing more,
> nothing less.  What is important is the person wearing
> the symbol.

I think the respect is more valuable than the scarf - but I
also believe there is a positive correlation between the
two.

> >But as I've already proven, my opinion is irrelevant.
> :)
> >
> >Ld Walter Robin, AQR
> >Mooneschadowe Rapier Marshal
> >cdt Don Navarre
>
> Sorry Robin, your oppinion matters, as does everyone
> else's.  A WS who does
> not listen to the rest of the community is living in a
> vacuum.
>
> Avery Shaw
> Aubrey's
> Coastal Regional Rapier Marshal