[Ansteorra-rapier] New Student Inundation...

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Thu Oct 25 15:20:19 PDT 2001

When you have lots of new students, one thing that you can do is switch to teaching
them more like modern fencing schools (and many other SCA folk, around the country)
presently do.  In BJ, we traditionally just fight, and learn when fighting.  When you
are outnumbered, however, you can find drills for particular skills, pair up your new
folk, show them how to do the drill, and let them practice that drill with one
another, under your roving supervision.  This works with footwork, parry and attack
drills pretty well.  If you don't know drills, get a book on them...or bug some of us
who happen to have crashed modern fencing classes for the very purpose of gathering
drills and learning how to teach better...

Isobel