[Ansteorra-rapier] melee practice

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:29:52 PDT 2001

Greetings

I certainly did not mean to imply that we should stop fighting the scenarios
practices altogether, that would likley be far worse than the problem I was
seeing on Sunday, and yes the breaks for discussion are still used and we
had a great deal of discussion durring these interims, the Field comanders
are doing a very good job. I certainly mean no disrespect to them or their
uplines. I have brought this up now because I didn't think of it till I was
on the long drive home talking to another rapier fighter.

I do agree completely that talking will never replace doing. We can not
simply tell some one what wheeling the line means and expect them to
understand. We should show them and help them put action to the words they
have heard. We should actively teach the basics of line engagement as well
as fighting live scenarios. Just as we show a new fighter how to hold their
blade and place thier feet. In single combat we train to use a weapon, In
group combat we train to be part of a weapon far greater than ourselves.

We have said and heard it said many times that comunication is one of the
greatest assets in a group confrontation.  This is true both on and off the
field. We have the advantage over period armies that we can get up when the
battle is over and find the reason we were taken out. As her excellency has
pointed out we have improved greatly over the past couple of years. Both in
Melee and in single combat, the skill and character of Ansteorran Rapier
continues to grow. Let us work together to see it grow further yet

In Service
HL Darius of the Bells

"Besides the artist two things are to be considered in every art, -
the instrument and the audience" - Sir Walter Raliegh

HE Kayliegh said :
>Greetings,
>
>You have brought up some concern that are valid.  First off -- unless there
>was a change in practice there is always a break in-between the melees --
>discuss what is going on -- why and what.

<snip>