[Ansteorra-rapier] Rapier Melee practice

joe rummel jerummel2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 08:03:58 PDT 2001

Well said, Alessandro.

I personally don't enjoy melees, but many people do.
Those who participate in melees (such as at Gulf War)
are supporting the Kingdom and the rapier community.
After all, rapier is worth a War Point at GW and the
melees are part of that.  While I don't fight in
rapier melees, I will be there to marshal and do my
part.

It is no secret that I am no fan of rapier melees, but
I think the act of discouraging others from
participating, even to do other activities, actually
hurts the community. I may be critical of the problems
with rapier melees, but I would never try to talk
someone out of doing something that they enjoy.  I
would rather be fighting in the armored melees at Gulf
Wars, but it is not fair the the Kingdom or the
community to try and 'steal' people away to fight
elsewhere.  This is a case of robbing Peter to pay
Paul, in my opinion.

Rapiers may not have been weapons of war, although
many officers carried them in combat, but large scale
fights are believable.  Think Capulets vs. Montigues
or Musketeers vs. Cardinal's Guard. (BTW, saw "The
Musketeer" last night at a screening.  It was
HORRIBLE. Run fast to the video store and rent the
1973 Micheal York/Oliver Reed/Charlton Heaston
versions.)

Benedict - ranting