[Ansteorra-rapier] melee practice

GabriDAvila@netscape.net GabriDAvila at netscape.net
Wed Sep 5 21:51:12 PDT 2001

Back to a topic thread that now seems old after reading all the KWAR marshaling rules e-mails on Rapier Net.

As a new fighter who enjoys doing drills, I believe a class on the basics of line engagement and cavalry would be helpful and interesting. I found it extremely helpful at Pennsic to have Puck watch me during the melee practice and give me some key pointers on melee basics. Hopefully, either the new fighter will ask for melee pointers, or their local/kingdom teachers will provide it without being asked.

In my experience, it can also be helpful to attach a new fighter "to the side" of an experienced one. At Gothic, I just selected one of the two people next to me in the line and stuck with them. If that person fell, I chose another.

Communication is the other key for new fighters. When the line commander or the experienced fighter call out commands clearly and often, I have always found it very easy to know where I need to be and what I need to do.

Gabriela D'Avila