[Ansteorra-rapier] Rapier Melee practice

GabriDAvila@netscape.net GabriDAvila at netscape.net
Thu Sep 6 20:19:49 PDT 2001

rolanda at cox-internet.com wrote:

>Rapier melees are silly from a tactical standpoint, and non-historical from a documentation standpoint.

Not being knowledgeable about the actual wars of the rapier-weilding time period, I will not attempt to refute your assertions on that score. Though you have sparked my interest to do some research when time permits.

But I would point out that it isn't as if most of the Heavy Weapon big battles are much more accurate recreations since they so often refuse to use archery except in one of three scenarios or so-forth. Bows, crossbows, canons, etc. played a major part in battles. Yeah, I know the Heavies don't like it because some of them are killed without getting a chance to fight, but from what I hear, war was often like that back then. Medieval and Renaissance battle tactics would have taken into account the advantages that these ranged weapons would have provided.

Gabriela D'Avila