[Ansteorra-rapier] LMOD tourney (was: Looking for.....)

Chris Zakes moondrgn at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 8 16:47:05 PST 2002

At 09:46 AM 2/8/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Good idea to try and get the heavy fighters and spectators involved in
>rapier fighting. But I'm not to sure about getting the heavy fighters to
>fight rapier or rapier fighters to fight heavy.

Actually, there's no reason the fighters *have* to "cross over" if they
don't want to.

The London Masters had no set formats for their Prizes, beyond the fact
that they were expected to use a variety of weapons (anything from two to
five or six) and play against a number of opponents (anywhere from three to
nine). For example:

"Gregorye Greene played his scholars prize at Chensforde in Essex under
Richard Donne at two weapons: the two hand sword and the back sword, with
eight at two hand sword and seven at back sword. He played the 18th of April."

and

"William Mathews played his master's prize at Canterbury the 5th day of
June at four kinds of weapons. That is to say the long sword, the back
sword, the sword and buckler and the rapier and dagger. There played with
him eight masters viz. Francis Calvert John Blinkinsop, John Goodwin, Izake
Kennard, Gregorye Grene, John Evans, Richard Smith and Henry Naylor..."

The problem that *I* see is that while one or two fighters could "play the
prize" by holding the field against all comers in a variety of weapons, it
would be much more difficult to have thirty or forty fighters trying to
play their prizes simultaneously.

	-Tivar Moondragon