[Ansteorra-rapier] A note from Dore

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Tue Jan 22 11:32:38 PST 2002

I have been asked some questions about academy so I thought it best
to post my answers here.

HEY, DORE, WHAT WAS THAT THING AT ACADEMY ALL
ABOUT?

I understand there are more than a few cadets and non-scarves who
are unhappy with the tone of the White Scarf panel discussion at
Academy and some of what was said.

I have thought about this for a time and I want to make it clear that I do
not think of my cadets and students as lackluster, dull or without
character; indeed, James, Muirghein and even my former cadets Ari
and Otto are anything but uninteresting. Perhaps you love them or
perhaps you hate them but I doubt you discount them as nobodies.
While we were discussing these things I was also thinking of Simone,
Avery, Tristan, Claire, Calaban and several others who are anything but
bland.

This is of course, my opinion. But realize that what was expressed in
that meeting was the opinions of individuals, not a consensus of the
circle. I think many of you may have given a few comments far too
much credence. remember that there were a lot of hopeful and
enlightening things said as well.

For our part, we did nothing to let you know if we disagreed with what
was being said. Honestly, I was more preoccupied with what I was
going to say and trying to communicate a very difficult concept in a few
words rather than fully considering each thing my brothers said. I fell
down on the job and I offer my apologies.

I do think we have a significant problem, but I do not think it is a
problem just for rapier and it is not about having a lesser quality of
persons as our students.

SO, DORE, WHAT WAS THAT YOU WERE TRYING TO SAY
WITH ALL THAT ZEN LIKE STUFF?

What I said was that any efforts you make to attain a White Scarf are
meaningless. If you have a Don or Dona inside you, you will get there
and if not, you will not -- or if you do you will be most unhappy.

Ok, that is kinda deep. What I am getting at is that wanting a White
Scarf is not the same thing as wanting to do all the things a WSA does
or to be all the things a WSA is expected to be. Your desire for that
scarf and the recognition and respect that goes with it can draw you
down the path of a Don or Dona though you are not suited to it. Some
people actually force themselves to stay on that path until they get the
scarf and beyond. But that is no worthwhile accomplishment. Most
quickly find they are quite unhappy with their new position and become
inactive or resign. Some struggle unhappily for years, often faulting the
circle for their misery. There are no happy endings here.

It is easy to be lured by that glittering symbol, even while protesting
(and believing) that **of course** it is not the award you are after. So
how do you avoid walking the wrong path? The answer is to go where
you feel wanted, needed, useful and happy. While there are several
tasks a WS must do that are not fun, I still want to do them; I feel my
talents are needed and I feel responsible for these things. It would be
harder for me NOT to do these things. If you find you are doing things
only because they are expected of you then take the time to consider
what you would rather be doing -- and do that. Any path that is
worthwhile will involve some adversity and some unpleasant tasks but
when you feel your efforts are not worthwhile or satisfying to you, it is
time to move on.

If the path of a Don or Dona is not right for you, then efforts to pursue it
are meaningless, irrelevant to you your true path. If it is the right path
for you then you will naturally seek to grow and mature on that road and
you will find NOT walking that path harder than walking it.

OK, SO WHAT IS THIS SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM YOU MENTION?

In a word, recruiting. Where are the new students? Where are the 20-
something newbies full of fire and enthusiasm? We are facing a basic
recruiting problem. I know that in my group the idea of bringing in those
youngsters with the bohemian lifestyles that 20- somethings tend to
have is distasteful to our middle-aged members with families.
Nevermind that most of these youth are tame and well adjusted
compared with us at that age.

I think the relative lack of youth also helps explain the lack of youthful
pranks. Many of those pranks "in the old days" also showed a lack of
maturity or judgment. The cadets of today are more mature -- not a bad
thing, actually. That certainly makes it easier to find the maturity we
expect of serious candidates. However, I don't think we can continue to
draw a smaller and smaller number of new members from an older and
older population and remain healthy. We need the youth and
enthusiasm we have lost.

At this point we have a real problem. The few youngsters we do have
are forced to look outside the SCA for companionship because the
selection of singles is so limited. One of the most important things our
society must have if these people are to stay with us is potential
companions and love interests and that means more youngsters.

I think that if we don't deal with this problem soon we will eventually all
be Peers and Nobles who do nothing but sit around and talk about the
the good old days.

Ok, enough for now. If you have more questions for me, let me know.

Don Christian Dore