[Ansteorra-rapier] A note from Dore

Theron Bretz tbretz at montroseclinic.org
Tue Jan 22 13:21:25 PST 2002

> This is of course, my opinion. But realize that what was expressed in
> that meeting was the opinions of individuals, not a consensus of the
> circle. I think many of you may have given a few comments far too
> much credence. remember that there were a lot of hopeful and
> enlightening things said as well.
>
> For our part, we did nothing to let you know if we disagreed with what
> was being said. Honestly, I was more preoccupied with what I was
> going to say and trying to communicate a very difficult concept in a few
> words rather than fully considering each thing my brothers said. I fell
> down on the job and I offer my apologies.

I feel the same way about my actions and inactions during this past
weekend's proceedings.  I let down friends who were in the audience, and for
that I am sorry.  But I'm even more sorry for those who I've never met who
saw me accept the harsh assessments of a few people without rebuttal.  For
that, no apology can do.  I can only work harder (see below).

> I do think we have a significant problem, but I do not think it is a
> problem just for rapier and it is not about having a lesser quality of
> persons as our students.

[zen stuff snipped for brevity]

> OK, SO WHAT IS THIS SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM YOU MENTION?
>
> In a word, recruiting. Where are the new students? Where are the 20-
> something newbies full of fire and enthusiasm? We are facing a basic
> recruiting problem. I know that in my group the idea of bringing in those
> youngsters with the bohemian lifestyles that 20- somethings tend to
> have is distasteful to our middle-aged members with families.
> Nevermind that most of these youth are tame and well adjusted
> compared with us at that age.

What he said.  If anyone from Shadowlands is reading this, I was both
heartened and sobered by your turnout.  Heartened because there _was_ a
turnout of fencers from Shadowlands, and sobered because there was a time
when five or six times that number would have come to an Academy.  Clearly,
the appeal of the Society has shifted to a different demographic, and I
don't know how we can work around that.

Some of it may be the expense of playing.  Heavier blades, better looking
armour, fencing helms, all of these things conspire to drive up the cost,
even the perception of the cost of play (I don't have a helmet, my heavy
blade is a Triplette cheap-o schlager, and my armour cloth came from
Wal-Mart, but the whole package still looks like more than I could have
afforded when I was 23 and new).  Add to this that the average newcomer sees
all the folks with seniority (myself included) high-tail it for the nearest
restaurant or back to the motel when it's time for feast and we come to the
inevitable conclusion that unless you can afford to play this game at an
economic level beyond your average college student, there's no room for you.

So, here's Etienne's plan.  I can't claim all the ideas are original.  I
can't claim I'll be able to follow it to the letter, but it's worth a try.

1.  I will stay for feast as a first resort.
2.  I will camp whenever the site and child care allows.  No more palace
princesses.
3.  I will continue to train new folks.  I will try to make this fun for
them and encourage them to go to events rather than just let them get away
with going to practice and Renn-fair.  I will help them with more than their
fencing technique so they are capable of attending events.
4.  I will stop my negative comments about melees and the war.  Negativity
has gotten us to where we are now.
5.  I hereby and publicly invite new fencers to "bother me".  I'm usually in
my armour, which consists of a navy long-sleeved doublet with matching
Venetian breeches and stockings, and a metal gorget.  If you can't find me
by that description, look for Beatrice di Palermo's astrology shop and ask
after me there. Talk to me.  Make me fight you.  I need it as much as you
do.

Etienne de Montagu, WSA