[Ansteorra-rapier] Perforated faceplates on helms

IagoAH@aol.com IagoAH at aol.com
Mon Jul 15 16:18:20 PDT 2002

I've just become aware of an issue with at least one helmet being actively
used in our kingdom. Corporate and kingdom rules specify perforated plate
used as rigid material must have holes with a maximum diameter of 1/8" and a
minimum offset (measuring from center of one hole to the center of the
nearest hole) of 3/16".  Yes, I realize that smaller holes can mean less open
are and a stronger plate even if the holes are a little closer.

The way the rules are written, just because the holes in the metal are
smaller does not mean they can be closer together. They still must be no less
than 3/16" apart. For those who wear helmets with perforated steel
faceplates, PLEASE, check them now. Don't be surprised at some list (like say
Queen's in a week and a half).

If your helmet, Like mine, has a face plate that is illegal because the holes
are too small, don't tear it apart yet.  I'm seeing about getting a ruling
from the Society rapier marshal on measuring the percentage of open space
rather than offset distance.

Iago