[Ansteorra-rapier] The Sable Field of Death at QC

IagoAH@aol.com IagoAH at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 14:01:47 PDT 2003

For those of you who were not at Queen's, you missed a scary field.  There
were three fields, and you stayed on your field all day, until there was few
enough left to combine into less fields.  The sable field had 12 fighters, and 11
previous Queen's Champion victories between four people.  HE Miguel, Masters
Modius and Ansgar, HE Robert, and Dons Pieter, Aaron Stuart, and Brendan (who
won the day) all started on that field, among noted others. It was "quickly
dubbed the field of death."  Even I was guessing this must have been on purpose,
but it seems it was not. The list mistress would like to assure everyone that
it was not intentional, and her words are below.

 "PS: Iago, will you please pass on to the rapier list (if you think they
would like to know) that I set the fields by first putting all of the
Dons cards in the front, then pairing them with a fighters from the top
of the stack who was not from their home area, then pairing all of the
rest of the fighters. I was assured by both a Don and my protege that
there were three fields, so I took the stack of 32 pairings and laid
them out one at a time into three separate stacks, so the first pairing
went on the first field, the second on the second field, the third on
the third field, and the fourth on the first field, and so on. The
Sable Field of Death was a complete accident, although it was very
entertaining throughout the day."

Iago