[Ansteorra-rapier] Mask Failure

IagoAH@aol.com IagoAH at aol.com
Tue Mar 18 16:03:04 PST 2003

At Gulf Wars this past week, an Ansteorran's mask failed when hit hard.  The
mast was an 8K Costello mask.

I don't know if the word ever got out since the ruling was made during the
changeover in kingdom marshals, so here it is again.

Last year the society rapier marshal issued a ruling banning ALL Costello
masks from SCA rapier activities. Costello quit making masks in the 80's and
it is doubtful that they ever made a 12K mask. This should be no problem,
since SCA and Ansteorran rules require a 12K mask as a minimum.

However, this mask had been in use in our kingdom at least since Queen's
champion, and had not been noticed until it failed.  I will point no fingers
of blame, since I ran inspection at queen's and may very well have been the
one not to catch it then.

That being said, plan on having your mask tested at the next event you see me
at.  I would like those regional marshals with testers to go ahead and start
using them as well.  If you know someone with a tester and trust them to use
it, have them test your mask.

Iago
Rapier Marshal
Ansteorra