[Ansteorra-rapier] gauntlets and rapier

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 05:14:21 PDT 2007

At 02:06 AM 10/10/2007, you wrote:
>Chris Zakes wrote:
>>>    * The gauntlet is a secondary, not a gloved hand, and thus is
>>> NOT approved for use against the other fighter's person (no
>>> "fleeting contact").
>>
>>What's the reasoning behind this? To prevent injuries? Have there been any?
>
>*My* reasoning is that it is a secondary, not just a glove, and thus
>SCA rules don't allow the contact, just as I cannot push or strike
>you with my buckler.
>
>You may be right with what you implied here, that the contact would
>not be unsafe.
>
>CD

<shrug> Okay, to me that's basically saying "don't bother with a mail
glove, you can't use it the way it was intended to be used." It seems
silly to me, but I'm not the guy writing (or officially interpreting)
the rules any more.

But on the other hand, it's a perfectly period attitude. Excerpt from
a weapons law passed by Queen Mary in 1557, and reissued by Queen
Elisabeth in 1562 and 1565 :

"...that from henceforth no person or persons, of what estate, or
condition so ever he or they be, do use or wear by night or by day,
nor sell any sword or rapier above the length of a yard and half a
quarter in the blade at the most, nor any buckler, with more pikes
therein than one, and the same not to be sharp, or above ii inches
long, or of a broader size than hath been most commonly used within
this realm, **nor use or wear any gauntlet, or vambrace,** nor any
other weapon of defense other than their common swords, rapiers,
daggers, and bucklers..." (emphasis added)

         -Tivar Moondragon