[Ansteorra-rapier] gauntlets and rapier

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Tue Oct 9 16:31:47 PDT 2007

I will correct a bit of my language from my previous post -- this is
specifically a chain mail gauntlet, not any metal gauntlet. It is proof
against CUTS, not thrusts. Here is the language from the newest rules
(which hopefully were signed in at Crown):

    Mail gauntlets shall be allowed as a parrying device and shall
    protect the hand from cuts wherever it is covered by metal.
    Gauntlets shall be constructed in a reasonably similar fashion to
    that of historical examples. (i.e. actual chain mail and a leather
    glove, all chain mail, etc.). Simulations made of cloth, paint, tape
    and the like shall not be used as a mail gauntlet.

For any other gauntlets or armor, it would have to be played under the
armor as worn rule, as Piet said. The difference is that not only would
both fighters have to agree, the tournament organizers would have to ok
it too. If you have a cool idea it should not be hard to get that buy in.

In answer to Brian's question, yes, you can still grab the blade. I see
no rule against it. However, given the rules I see little advantage to
grasping with it rather than a leather gloved hand.

In answer to Rurik's query: No matter if the mail covers the palm or
not, the palm can still be damaged if it grabs a blade. The purpose of
this rule:

    If the blade that is grasped moves or twists in the grasping hand,
    that hand is deemed disabled.

is to reduce incidents of fighters just hanging on to the blade and
perhaps wrestling over it. Also, it helps balance the game so the guy
who's blade is grasped is not helpless. Those needs do not change just
because the hand is covered with mail. Yes, it seems a bit unrealistic
that a blade can still slice through the mail but remember that in a
real fight the person who's blade is grasped would probably punch or
kick the fighter grasping his blade. Since in most duels the fighters
were similarly armed I'll leave it to your imagination what such a punch
would do. Obviously that is not an option in our game.

>From a rules standpoint, I will also point out that the latter is an SCA
rule and so takes precedence over the Ansteorra specific mail gauntlet
rule (which is a kingdom specific application of the SCA armor as worn
rule).

So, that is the rule no matter how you slice it ;-)

Christian Doré, KRM