[Ansteorra-rapier] gauntlets and rapier

Garnet Stevens scooterjester at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 20:57:10 PDT 2007

Greetings to the list,

I need to disagree with the following statement:

"In answer to Rurik's query: No matter if the mail
covers the palm or not, the palm can still be damaged
if it grabs a blade. The purpose of
this rule:

     If the blade that is grasped moves or twists in
the grasping hand, that hand is deemed disabled.

is to reduce incidents of fighters just hanging on
to the blade and perhaps wrestling over it. Also, it
helps balance the game so the guy who's blade is
grasped is not helpless. Those needs do not change
just
because the hand is covered with mail. Yes, it seems
a bit unrealistic that a blade can still slice through
the mail but remember that in a real fight the person
who's blade is grasped would probably punch or
kick the fighter grasping his blade. Since in most
duels the fighters were similarly armed I'll leave it
to your imagination what such a punch would do.
Obviously that is not an option in our game."

This statement is an opinion and is not written in the
rules.  If there is a purpose as it is put, then where
is it in the rules?

The rules state:

For heavy rapier and cut and thrust, mail Gauntlets
shall be allowed as a parrying device,
provided they are constructed in a reasonably similar
fashion to that of historical
examples. (i.e. chain mail and a leather glove, all
chain mail, etc.) A fighter will not be
allowed to cover a glove with duct tape and call it a
mail gauntlet, or anything likened to
such action. When wearing a mail gauntlet, the hand
will be protected from cuts wherever
it is covered by steel.

and

In heavy rapier and cut and thrust, upon agreement of
all involved fighters, fighter may
choose to grasp blades, rather than parry them. If the
blade that is grasped moves or twists
in the grasping hand, that hand is deemed disabled.
Grasping techniques shall be used only
to immobilize a blade, not to bend it or wrest it from
the opponent's grip. Prolonged wrestling
over a grasped blade is sufficient grounds for calling
a "hold" and forcing the release of the
blade.

Please note that in no way does it state any of the
above response.  Also, their is no mention to grabbing
a blade with a chainmail gauntlet disabling said hand.
 But, under the former it does state that the
chainmail gloved hand "will be protected from cuts
wherever it is covered by steel."

Unless I am missing something that is actually written
in the rules I see the following facts.

A hand with a chainmail gauntlet made of steel
covering the entire hand can ONLY be disabled by a
thrust.  A CUT or BLADE GRABBING will not disable said
hand.  This is also the way the rules are in my
previous kingdom and how I have been teaching the use
of a chainmail protected hand for many years.

Feel free to elaborate.

In Service,

Lord Sebastiana Gerynot Fanelli  (Formerly from the
Kingdom of Atenveldt)