[Ansteorra-rapier] gauntlets and rapier

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 05:07:50 PDT 2007

At 01:06 AM 10/11/2007, you wrote:
>Yes, there is an important piece of information you missed.
>
>The mail glove rules is a kingdom rule. The rule about damage to the
>hand is an SCA rule. The kingdom rule cannot override the SCA rule.
>Ergo, the grasping hand IS damaged if the blade moves or twists as I
>said earlier.

Mail gloves aren't all that common. It's possible that this question
has simply never hit the Corporate radar screen before.

The only thing in the current rules that addresses the question at
all is section 4. B. which says "Tourneys may be held which define
areas of the body as if armored, and to what degree, so long as all
the participants are made aware of these special conditions prior to
the start of combat." That phrase "to what degree" *could* be used to
allow uncuttable palms when wearing a mail glove.

I agree that the Corporate rules trump the Ansteorran rules, but as
written, the Ansteorran rules do seem to contradict themselves. On
the one hand a mail glove is proof against cuts, but on the other
hand twisting the blade in the grasping hand will cut the hand.
Concern about fighters wrestling for control of the blade *should* be
covered under section IV. F. of the Ansteorran rules, which says in
part "Prolonged wrestling over a grasped blade is sufficient grounds
for calling a "hold" and forcing the release of the blade."

But considering the scarcity of mail gloves in the kingdom, the
current ruling-even if somewhat illogical--isn't likely to cause a
major problem.

         -Tivar Moondragon